Symptoms of Cervical Cancer
Cervical cancer often has no symptoms in the early stages. Symptoms may not appear until the cancer is advanced.
The most common symptom is bleeding from the vagina:
- Between periods
- After sex, douching, or a pelvic exam
- After menopause
Menstrual periods may be heavy or last a long time. There may be an unusual discharge from the vagina.
Copyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.http://services.epnet.com/getimage.aspx?imageiid=24342434si55551375.jpgCervical CancerNULLjpgCervical CancerNULL\\filer01\Intellect\images\si55551375.jpgCopyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.23NULL2002-10-01255391Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Later stages of cancer may cause:
- Pain in the pelvis, belly or back
- Problems passing urine or stool
- Loss of hunger and weight
- Being very tired
- Swelling in the legs
- Cervical cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/cervical-cancer.
- Cervical cancer. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/gynecologic-tumors/cervical-cancer.
- General information about cervical cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: https://www.cancer.gov/types/cervical/patient/cervical-treatment-pdq.
- Hu, Z. and Ma, D. The precision prevention and therapy of HPV-related cervical cancer: new concepts and clinical implications. Cancer Medicine, 2018; 7 (10): 5217-5236.
- Signs and symptoms of cervical cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervical-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-symptoms.html.
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com.