Treatments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
The goal of treatment is to manage symptoms. How this is done depends on a child's age and the problems they are having. Behavioral therapy will be needed. Parents and school staff will play a role in this therapy. Younger children may start with therapy to see if it helps before trying other treatments, such as medicine. Older children may be started with medicine and have therapy at the same time. Changes will also need to be made to home and school settings to ease stress. Treatment will be closely watched to make sure that it is helping.
Treatment may involve:
- About ADHD—overview. Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder website. Available at: https://chadd.org/about-adhd/overview. Accessed May 11, 2022.
- ADHD. Kids Health—Nemours Foundation website. Available at: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/adhd.html. Accessed May 11, 2022.
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: https://familydoctor.org/condition/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd. Accessed May 11, 2022.
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd. Accessed May 11, 2022.
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd-in-children-and-adolescents. Accessed May 11, 2022.
- Understanding ADHD: information for parents. Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics website. Available at: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/adhd/Pages/Understanding-ADHD.aspx. Accessed May 11, 2022.
(C) Copyright 2023 EBSCO Information Services
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.